The genus is distinguished on the basis of genetic characters.
No details are available on the morphology of virions.
Genome (Shi et al., 2018): c. 7,790–8,173 nt (5′-UTR: up to 665 nt; ORF: 6,861–7,206 nt; 3′-UTR: 246–401 nt). The location of the cre has not been identified.
Genome organization and replication
The deduced polyprotein is of 2,287–2,402 amino acids. There is no L protein. The 2A protein has an H-box/NC sequence motif.
No virus has been isolated. Viral RNA was detected in organ pools (gut, liver, gill) of various captured fresh water and sea water fishes.
Derivation of names
Fipivirus: derived from fish picornavirus
Species demarcation criteria
Members of a species of the genus Fipivirus:
- are less than 40% divergent in polyprotein amino acid sequence
- are less than 50% divergent in P1 amino acid sequence
- are less than 50% divergent in 2C+3CD amino acid sequence
- share a common genome organization
- share a natural host range
Related, unclassified viruses
Beihai wrasse picornavirus [LXMC18013]
Wenling banjofish picornavirus 2 [LXMC178843]
Virus names and virus abbreviations are not official ICTV designations.
* partial genome