News stories posted in 2016
November 1, 2016
Announcing the ICTV Online (10th) Report on Virus Taxonomy
The 10th ICTV Report will be published as a freely available, online resource, starting in January 2017. Over a three-year cycle, ICTV Study Groups, consisting of leading experts in the field, will update the factual information in the chapters of the 9th Report as well as produce chapters for newly created viral taxa, and provide direct links from the new chapters to the latest taxonomic database. Links will also be provided to external sequence and taxonomic databases.
Collaboration Between the ICTV and Journal of General Virology to Publish Chapter Summaries: Also starting in January 2017, Journal of General Virology will publish ICTV Virus Taxonomy Profiles – a new series of concise review-type articles that will summarize individual chapters from the Online (10th) Report on Virus Taxonomy. Written by ICTV Study Groups, these reviews will provide overviews of the classification, structure and properties of individual virus orders, families and genera. These summaries will be linked to the full Online Report chapters on the ICTV website and be indexed in PubMed.
Together, the summaries and online chapters will become the go-to place for researchers looking for up-to-date taxonomic and descriptive information on viruses.
The Online Report and the Taxonomy Profiles have been made possible thanks to a Biomedical Resources grant from the Wellcome Trust to the ICTV Executive Committee.
September 12, 2016
Eric Carstens: new life member of the ICTV
We are delighted to announce that Professor Eric Carstens has recently been elected as a Life Member of the ICTV. This follows nomination by the whole Executive Committee at its meeting in London in July 2015 and subsequent ratification by the entire voting membership. Eric is currently a Professor in the Department of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, and has a particular research interest in large DNA viruses that infect insects. Please see the article in Archives of Virology announcing his Life Membership.
April 30, 2016
ICTV 2015 Taxonomy
- The 2015 ICTV taxonomy is now available online at https://ictv.global/taxonomy/history.
- The new ICTV Master Species List for 2015 is available for download as an Excel Spreadsheet.
- A reference that can be used to cite these taxonomic proposals has been published in Archives of Virology:
- Ratification vote on taxonomic proposals to the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (2016). Adams MJ, Lefkowitz EJ, King AM, Harrach B, Harrison RL, Knowles NJ, Kropinski AM, Krupovic M, Kuhn JH, Mushegian AR, Nibert M, Sabanadzovic S, Sanfaçon H, Siddell SG, Simmonds P, Varsani A, Zerbini FM, Gorbalenya AE, Davison AJ. (2016) Archives of Virology, 161(10), 2921-2949, PMID: 27424026.
- Official taxonomy proposals representing all of the taxonomic changes approved by the ICTV since the publication of the ICTV 8th Report can be found here: Official Taxonomy Proposals.